Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Lovey, A Baby's Best Friend!

Before Luvbug was born we received an adorable, super soft, monogrammed lovey from my sister. We loved it right away but we never would have imagined to all 3 be so attached to that little 6 inch square of fabric. We took it to the hospital when she was born, placed it next to her in her crib, and then begin to lay it on our shoulder as we rocked her to sleep. Not surprisingly we did this with several of her other blankets that were just within reach but we begin to notice she favored this as she got to be just a couple months old. And ever since then she has been so sweetly attached to it. When we have a big bo bo we go get it to cuddle with (along with our blankie but we won't let that steal the show for now) and she sleeps with it every nap-time and at night. We take it in the car in place of our larger blanket and even use it as sunshade when its too bright outside. We have all panicked over misplacing it and so now we have several loveys. It has become a must have for us!

So once we found out the twins were a girl and boy I came across 2 super cute and equally soft loveys that were perfect. I oohed and awed and showed Hubs and wouldn't stop thinking about it for weeks. Luvbug’s lovey is light pink with a little poodle on top and the ones I loved for the twins were just enough different...one was a light blue elephant and one was a brighter pink spotted giraffe. For some reason we didn’t buy them that day but they were still on my mind…

After I was put on bed rest these new loveys became a focal point for me....as if they were tangible reminders of how important it was for me to stay in bed and rest so my sweet precious new daughter and son could grow longer in my belly. It is interesting what things we become so attached to as mothers. The picture all 3 of my kids snuggled up on the couch watching cartoons in the morning holding tight to each of their lovey's was constantly stuck at the forefront of my mind. And it was beautiful and comforting!

So after a weird emotional upheaval one night of how frustrated I was about bed rest. I shared with Hubs my connection to those new loveys I wanted for our twins. He said, “ok great I will go get them this weekend.” But of course when he went back to retrieve them they were sold out, I was so bummed.

Then came the weekend of my birthday Hubs come walking in the door with a loot of sacks. One was a beautifully wrapped birthday present for me but the other one was just a white plain paper sack. He pulls out the plain white sack and says, “I bought something for the babies.” So Luvbug helped me open it and inside were the 2 loveys I had dreamed about for over a month. I was so thrilled! For some reason it was like our preparation for the babies was finally complete even though in reality that was far from the truth. But it just gave me a sense of peace knowing they each have their very own lovey that will help sooth them, wipe away a messy face, and be snuggled as they sleep for years to come.

A lovey truly is a baby/toddler's best friend but it has also become this mommy's best friend as well. I mean look at how snugly they are!