From the very beginning I knew this pregnancy was different from my first pregnancy. I suspected twins because twins run in my family but it was still a shock to have it confirmed on our first ultrasound at 8 weeks. As an RN we were always taught to "hope for the best but be prepared for the worst." And throughout most of my education we focused primarily on how to treat and prevent complications. So while Hubs was bouncing off the walls with excitement at the news of "there are 2 babies" I was running through my list of potential complications in my now high risk pregnancy. I have to admit it was very overwhelming and scary couple of days but God has continually remind us that he would not have blessed us with twins if we were not capable to handle them.
So far we have been very blessed to not have any major complications! But of course I am struggling with the physical demands of eating and drinking enough water for 3. Its a whole new ball game than what I was used to from my first pregnancy. But putting my normal realism (Hubs like to call it pessimism) aside I am trying to embrace optimism and focus on the exciting things of a twin pregnancy.
The Great things about a twin pregnancy:
- I have already felt movement- as early as 10 weeks!!! Feeling luvbug kick was one of the things I loved in my first pregnancy and it is so neat now to feel movement coming from 2 very different areas of my uterus.
- I get to have an Ultra Sound every time I go to an appointment. We have only had 2 ultrasounds but it has already been amazing to see the development in each stage.
- Luvbug is extremely excited about the "babies in mommy's tummy" and "being a big sister" she mentions this several times a day which always puts a smile on my face.
- I never really went through an awkward "chubby" stage where my preggo tummy never showed. It just popped out and every night it doubles. I look so big already that people are already asking me if i know the sex of the baby...which most ppl don't find out until they are 20 weeks. I am just over 14 weeks!!!
- And we have been reminded of God's sovereign hand on our family's life. Its amazing that we out of only a few couples have been chosen to be parents of 2 new babies at one time.
4 Simple Goals for our family:
- I will stay healthy during my pregnancy and not end up on bed rest!
- Our twins will be born after 36 weeks and be over 5 and half pounds each! Which would allow them to have no time spent in the NICU and to come home with us from the hospital when I am discharged.
- I am able to produce and breastfeed both twins exclusively without loosing my mind in the process!
- We will effectively include and nurture our beautiful 2.5 year old daughter every step of the way.
Every hour I have to remind myself to slow down, drink tons of water, and eat more and more protein. We want our babies to beat the odds of twins being premature. Keeps us in your prayers and remember if you ever have baby fever you are welcome in our home anytime no matter the distance!!! :)
3 comments:
I just love it!! What a sweet time.
You are doing great, don't you worry! Praying for you and those sweet babies. And don't you worry, I'll be over for sure!
You guys are such amazing parents! I am praying for you guys and the two little Jaspers on the way. We miss you guys!-- Sarah Novlan
Post a Comment